The Eighth Commandment
You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
What does this mean?
We should fear and love God so that we do not tell lies about our neighbor, betray him, slander him, or hurt his reputation, but defend him, speak well of him, and explain everything in the kindest possible way.
In the Matthew 26: 57-68, list all the people that were lying and what the lie was.
- Why does God not want us to lie?
What other commandments does lying break?
- What damage does lying do?
- Instead of lying, God command us to do something different. What is that?
Q 84 LSC
- Proverbs 31:8-9 is about telling the truth.
Who are we to speak up for?
Why is telling the truth important for babies in the womb and people that are very old and sick?
LSC Q 83 What does a good reputation give us?
LSC Q 85 How does gossip destroy a good reputation?
How is bullying related to the 8th commandment?
LSC Q 87 Are there times when not speaking the truth may be necessary?
For more insight read Exodus 1:15-20, the story of Shiphrah and Puah,
What is Slander?
What does it mean to have a good name?
What are the results of having a bad reputation?
Ephesians Chapter 2 “Grace Alone”
1. What is the difference between dead physically and dead spiritually?
2. Before faith how are we dead spiritually?
a. See Psalm 51:1-5
3. What does it mean to be “dead in the trespasses and sins”?
1 And you were dead in the trespasses and sins 2 in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience—
5. What is “the course of this world”?
6. Who is the “prince and the power of the air?
7. Who are the “sons of disobedience”?
8. St. Paul does not let anyone off the Spiritual hook. Ephesians 2:3
9. What are the passions of our flesh, and the desires of the body and mind?
10. Ephesians 2:4. Define mercy.
12. Ephesians 2:8-10 are clearly talking about how we are saved.
a. What is Grace and how are we saved through Grace alone?
b. What role does faith play in our salvation? (Remember the answer is not “I have to believe first”)
c. Ephesians 2:9 What does St. Paul warn would happen if our salvation was something we could do?
Please define these words.
Romans 6 “Faith alone”
1. The beginning of >Romans 6 is all about Baptism and the Cross and the hope we have. St. Paul asks this question “How can we who died to sin still live in it”?
a. Where did we die to sin? (think water and the triune name of God)
b. God has forgiven us in our Baptism by connecting us to the Cross. What does it mean when we continue in sin, even enjoy our sin even though we know it’s wrong?
2. What did we gain when Christ died on the cross for us?
3. When we are “baptized into Christ’s death”, His death became our death to sin. What is the promise for us at the end of Romans 6:4?
4. What is our hope in Romans 6:5?
5. What does it mean to be a slave?
6. Why are Romans 6:3-5 the first thing we hear at a Christian funeral?
7. Romans 6:16 list two masters that a person will serve. What are the two?
8. If we follow sin that leads to ___________ If we follow obedience to God and His Word that leads to ___________
9. What is the fruit of sin?
10. What is the fruit of obedience to Christ and His promises?
2 Timothy 3 “Scripture alone”
1. What sins show up when people are lovers of
g. Ungrateful unholy
h. Heartless unappeasable slanderous without self-control
i. Brutal not loving good
j. Treacherous reckless swollen with conceit lovers of pleasure
k. Having the appearance of godliness but denying its power.
2. The above list is what a world and people without God looks like. This is what the world looked like in Luther’s day as well. >2 Timothy 3: 12 reminds us that those who “desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted”. How are you persecuted because of faith in Jesus?
3. 2 Timothy 3:14. How do we endure in the world today?
4. 2 Timothy 3:15. Why is Sunday School and daily devotions at home so important?
5. 2 Timothy 3:16 How does God’s Word
a. Reproof wrong?
b. Correct errors?
c. Train in righteousness?
6. 2 Timothy 3:17. What is the result of being in God’s Word, worshiping regularly and receiving God’s good gifts?
7. Why are Grace alone, Faith alone and Scripture alone even more important today than in Luther’s day?