Memory work: Genesis 2:2-3
2 And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done. 3 So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation.
1. When God originally created, He rested on the 7th day of the week. What day is that?
2. Why do we now worship on Sunday? LSC q 37
3. What does Sabbath mean? LSC q 35
4. God does not require a specific day to worship but He does require that we worship together. What does Hebrews 10:25 tell us to do?
5. Why did God rest on the seventh day?
6. What does it mean to Sabbath (Rest) in Jesus?
Memory Work Matthew 11:28
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Come to Me, and I Will Give You Rest
25 At that time Jesus declared, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; 26 yes, Father, for such was your gracious will.[g] 27 All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. 28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
1. Jesus says come to me and I will give you rest. What kind of rest is He talking about?
2. What does it mean to rest in Jesus?
3. Do we keep the Sabbath, rest on the Sabbath, by not working on that day or does the commandment direct us to another kind of rest?
Memory work Acts 2:42a>
42 And they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. And they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. 43 And awe[d] came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles. 44 And all who believed were together and had all things in common. 45 And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. 46 And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.
1. What are the apostles teaching?
2. What is the fellowship they devoted themselves to?
3. What is the breaking of Bread?
4. Why did they pray?
5. Where do all of these things come together?
6. What does it mean to hold God’s Word Sacred?
7. What does it mean to Gladly hear it?
8. What does it mean to learn God’s Word?