The Ninth Commandment
You shall not covet your neighbor’s house.
What does this mean?
We should fear and love God so that we do not scheme to get our neighbor’s inheritance or house or get it in a way which only appears right, but help and be of service to him in keeping it.
8 But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.
1. LSC Q88 What is the definition of coveting from the Catechism?
2. What things do you covet?
3. What kind of things did King David covet in the reading for today?
4. What were the effects of David’s Coveting on Bathsheba’s family?
5. What sins did David fall into because of his coveting, and what commandments did he break?
1. Absalom was King David’s son. What was Absalom coveting?
2. How was Absalom pulling the Kingship away from his father?
3. What was Absalom’s plan when He came into Hebron?
4. What is a conspiracy?
1. What coveting did God forbid in the 9th commandment?
2. What does God require of us in the 9th commandment?
3. Hebrews 13:5 gives good advice when dealing with coveting. What does it encourage us to do?
You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his manservant, or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.
What does this mean?
We should fear and love God so that we do not entice or force away our neighbor’s wife, workers, or animals, or turn them against him, but urge them to stay and do their duty.
Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.
1. How is the 10th Commandment different than the 9th?
2. Which one of the Bible readings for this week dealt with the 10th Commandment?
3. What does it mean to be content?
4. In verse 10 of the reading for today St. Paul lists a number of things he can be content with. Pick two things from his list and write a paragraph on each explaining how you also can be content in that situation.
1. Fill in the blank from the readings. Godliness with ____________ is ________ _________.
2. But as for you O man of God, _____________ these things. Pursue ___________, ____________, __________, ____________, ____________, gentleness.
3. What are 10 things that God has given you that you are thankful for and content with.
4. Take one of the things from your list and explain why you are content with this gift from God?
5. What are three things you can do if your are not content?