Over the past several months, going back to August of 2020, there have been several projects that have begun, and some are complete, and some are still in progress and I wanted to bring the congregation up to date on these projects, and how they were paid for.
- Last fall a seminarian support fund to assist our vicar with his seminary studies was created. He will eventually be ordained and will serve at Divine Shepherd in his ministry. The congregation is expected to contribute to the cost of his training as we will be the primary beneficiary. Contributions to this fund have been generous and we are able to meet this obligation outside of our general offerings.
- Last year we also upgraded the sound and video equipment in the sanctuary to provide high quality live streaming services and events. Most of this cost came from outside regular offerings.
- Early this year a private party had a 3-octave set of handbells for sale, which we had been using on loan for about a year. We were able to obtain the bells using a dedicated fund for them and a generous donation from a member family. No general offerings were used for this purchase.
- In late 2020 a newer van was purchase for the school. A member family donated the majority of the cost and the school contributed a portion. No general offerings were used for this project.
- More recently, new banners were purchased for our worship area. These banners replaced some older banners that needed repair, and the new banners cover the entire church year. Banners are expensive and complex and time consuming to make. The cost of the banners was from general operating funds of the congregation. If you would like to donate to the “banner fund” to offset a portion of the cost, it would be greatly appreciated.
- In February, a member family offered to match up to $10,000 in donations from the congregation to purchase and install an Electronic Display sign. To date $5000 has been donated toward the match. A committee has been formed to evaluate various signs, determine placement, plan the sign location, and develop guidelines for use. It is anticipated that this project will be completed without using any general operating funds.
- The music department is hoping to replace the electronic keyboard in the sanctuary as it has limitations and is an older unit. It would be moved to the fellowship hall to be used for various events. A newer keyboard would be purchased for the music department. You may contribute to this project at any time in any amount. We hope to make this purchase without using general operating funds.
- A vibraphone is located in the sanctuary and you hear Joni Mercer playing it nearly every Sunday. She owns the vibraphone but uses it to enhance our music programs at Divine Shepherd. No general operating funds have been used for this.
- We recently purchased a new software program for the church office that will be easier to use and will allow us to keep our database of members more current. We will have about 18 users on this program, and they can update the records from their station. It will eventually integrate with our financial software. We are just getting this off the ground. It was a reasonably priced program, and it was paid for by general operating funds.
- Also this year, a private loan that was taken out in 2017 to help us complete the building project to expand the sanctuary was paid off. The total was $60,000 and was paid off in 3 years from general offerings.
- Two new grills were purchased last fall and most of the cost of those were donated funds.
In total, all these projects cost approximately $28,700, of which 90% came from separate donations dedicated to these projects. In addition to the financial support, a significant amount of time and talent went into these projects. You, the members of Divine Shepherd Lutheran Church, are to be thanked for your generosity and Christian stewardship.
Just a reminder, that if you have a project idea, or wish to start a fundraiser for a need in the congregation, be sure to inform the FINANCIAL REVIEW COMMITTEE (FRC). They make final decisions on expenditures and approve requests for funding. They have a form to complete for all requests. Please contact Wally Leipold for more information.
On behalf of the Church Council,
Divine Shepherd Lutheran Church and School